Saturday, November 16, 2013

Fionna Cosplay - Adventure Time

Fionna Cosplay

Who is Fionna

Fionna is a character from the show Adventure Time, it airs on Cartoon Network. Fionna is created from within the show by the character Ice King, he loves Finn and Jake so much he makes a gender-bent fan fiction. Fionna is Finn's female counterpart. We rarely see her as she's not actually a real character.

Why Fionna

To say that I love Adventure Time is an understatement, if it wasn't for lack of funds at comiccon, I would be writing this post wearing a Jake Onezie. Nothing cheers me up like an episode of Adventure Time, it's so silly and they make the weirdest and stupidest jokes but behind them it's so DEEP. I love it, it's really innocent and makes me happy. Since I'm a girl, I decided to do Fionna.
I chose to do this with my Tiny Tina cosplay as it was easy, there's a lot less work all around (including putting it on) and it was for my lazy days at comiccon.
I also wore this for the Wiggle Waggle Walkathon, my team and I had a geek theme going and some guy actually recognized me which was pretty sweet since I wasn't at comiccon or something geeky.

Creating the cosplay

 

Head

I made the bunny hat myself, I found this tutorial online and managed to make it without screwing up too much. I did manage to sew the back to the front.. but it's not terrible looking.
For the hair, I just tied my hair up under the hat and let a strand out on the side.


Body

 I found the shirt and skirt at Old Navy, sadly there were no long sleeves but if I'm cold I have a same color of blue hoodie that I wear over. I got the socks at Walmart and those are my own comfy summer shoes (same shoe I wear for Tiny Tina).
As for the backpack, I specifically wanted the backpack with Jake on it, (Fionna is paired up with Cake but I don't like that sassy cat, I prefer Jake) so it was harder to find. I could have made it like the hat, but I didn't want to and I wanted a functional backpack to carry my things around since I wouldn't have pockets. I ended up finding the perfect one from the US shop Hot Topic, it was under 20$, so I added it to my cart and got all the way to shipping to see 35$ of shipping.... Cancel that, cry, try to find another solution. I was all set to pack my car and drive to the US but then luckily, my friend tells me she's heading there herself and to save myself a trip and just call Hot Topic to put one aside for her to grab. WOO! Halleluiah, a week later I had my bag with Jake on it.

Sword

I couldn't have Fionna without a weapon of some kind, she's "Finn", they're warriors of Oo. So, by popular internet decision, I made the pink crystal sword. Literally, from scratch.
Really easy, just some foamboard, paper maché, paint, and voilà!












The result


I had a lot of fun being Fionna, a lot of fans loved it and took pictures with me; my sword was an even bigger hit, blew my friends away last Halloween party. I couldn't find all the pictures of me, which is lame but hey I made a kid's day by letting him hold my awesome pink sword so I guess it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment